New Haven, CT Lincoln Rink Fire, Mar 1892

LINCOLN RINK BURNED.

The Fire Starts From a Naphtha Explosion. Loss [ineligible] $3,000.

A naphtha explosion in the workshop of William Bean and E. W. Squires, situated in front of Lincoln rink, caused a fire at 6 o'clock last evening that destroyed the building. While they were brazing with naphtha lamp some one shut off the air current before Mr. Squires had finished his work. The oil ran back to the five-gallon tank and exploded, and Mr. Bean, who was standing by, was badly burned about the face and hands.

An alarm was turned in at box 24. The rink was soon burning brightly and in a few minutes was beyond saving. A second alarm was struck and two more steamers were brought into use. Sparks that were [ineligible] on Trinity church set the roof on fire. Hook and ladder 3, with the aid of ladder and sprinklers, put the blaze out.

The building, owned by Judge Townsend, was worth $5,000. It was insured for $2,000. Bean and Squires recently come from Waterbury to open a bicycle repairing establishment here. Their loss is estimated at about $900, and there is no insurance.

Charles Hilton intended to open the rink last evening as a bicycle riding school and lost some 50 machines. His loss will be about $3,000. He carried no insurance.

Some 500 pairs of skates owned by the proprietors of the building were destroyed. The building was built by William Lincoln in 1884, and was formerly used for a skating and polo rink.

The New Haven Evening Register, New Haven, CT 7 Mar 1892