New Hartford, CT Fire, Oct 1885


HARTFORD, Conn., Oct. 29.----The village of New-Hartford, in Litchfield County, suffered severely from a fire which broke out in Patrick Myer's saloon at 4 o'clock yesterday morning. This building was totally and speedily destroyed, the fire then communicating with an adjoining wood structure occupied as a saloon and market with tenements overhead. The occupants lost substantially everything. The flames meanwhile swept north and south, destroying two dwelling houses north and enveloping the building of Taylor & Tiffany, which was soon a total loss. The occupant of the first floor was W. S. Gates, who had the second largest store in town. He lost a considerable amount of flour and grain, saving only 30 barrels of flour and 20 bags of grain. Five barns and sheds in the rear used for storage were, with their contents, consumed. A dwelling house, occupied by Mrs. T. C. Wilbur, Miss Nancy Mack, and Arthur G. Stort, was burned down. The Smith Building, corner of Main and Bridge streets, was saved after desperate efforts. In it are five stores and six tenements. The Greenwoods Company across the river ran their hose into the threatened district and saved a great amount of property. Stancliff's livery stable was destroyed, but he got his 20 horses safely out, everything else about the premises being burned. T. Corcoran's shoe shop next adjoining was consumed, but the stock was saved. The dwelling house on the Wheeler estate, with several outbuildings, was a total loss, but most of the furniture was saved. The building of the New-Hartford Tribune caught fire, but was burned only on the north side.

The burned district covers about three acres, and the losses are placed at from $60,000 to $75,000, though probably a careful estimate will reduce them below $50,000. Most of the property was well insured. Goodwin's agency carried about $25,000 and Burwell's something less. There was intense excitement in the town when the fire got under way, as there is no fire apparatus there, and it was found impossible to communicate with Hartford by telegraph, and no connection could be got with Winsted. Meanwhile the Greenwoods Company furnished fire extinguishers and such other help as they could owing to the closing of telegraph offices, a citizen drove to Winsted and a fire steamer was sent by train, arriving in time to do good service. People from surrounding places crowded into the town to-day to view the ruins.

Insurances are reported as follows: North American, Philadelphia, $10,700; Home, New-York, $2,000; Phoenix, Brooklyn, N. Y., $7,000; Phenix, Hartford, $5,000; Orient, Hartford, $2,000; Connecticut, Hartford, $2,000; Hartford, Hartford, $600; Queens, England, $2,000; total, $31,300.

The New York Times, New York, NY 30 Oct 1885