New Haven, CT House Fire, Jan 1909

LIVES LOST IN BIG FIRE.

FAMILY OF SAMUEL HIGGINS, GENERAL MANAGER OF NEW HAVEN ROAD, SADLY AFFECTED.

New Haven, Conn., Jan. 13 -- In a fire, early today, which destroyed the handsome four story residence occupied by SAMUEL HIGGINS, general manager of the New York, New Haven & Hartford railroad, HIGGINS' mother, MRS. HIGGINS, was caught in her room and burned to death. His mother-in-law, MRS. M. R. GASKIN, was probably fatally hurt, his wife and daughter, ISABELLE had legs broken and HIGGINS himself was badly bruised, all by jumping from a second story window. His young son, HAROLD also jumped but escaped injury. A colored cook jumped from a third story window, landing on the veranda roof.
The fire was caused by an overheated furnace. The house was owned by CHARLES P. WEBB. Firemen were greatly handicapped by poor water pressure. The loss is $75,000.

The Fitchburg Sentinel Massachusetts 1909-01-13