Washington, DC Waterback Stove Explosions, Jan 1912

EXPLOSIONS INJURE 5

Struck by Iron When Frozen Pipes Burst in Stoves.

LAD'S SKULL IS FRACTURED

Michael Fronini is Critical Condition at Emergency Hospital---His Father Also Hurt---Werner Maske, Eighty-nine Years Old, Another Victim---Blasts Accompanied by Small Fires

Five persons were seriously injured yesterday by the explosion of frozen water pipes connected with kitchen stoves. Michael Fronini, 14 years old of 2200 I street northwest, is at Emergency Hospital in a critical condition from a fractured skull, caused by being struck with a piece of metal in the explosion at his home yesterday morning. Michael Fronini, [ineligible] the lad's father, was struck by pieces of iron, but his injuries are not serious. The house was set on fire, and the engines were called to extinguish the blaze. The damage was $75.

Mrs. Harriet Mattingly, 29 years old and Fred Burgess 28 years old, of 412 O street northwest were injured yesterday morning in the explosion of the kitchen stove, caused by the bursting of a water pipe. Both were burned about the hands and face, but refused hospital treatment. The fire was extinguished with $75 damage.

Werner Maske 89 years old a boarder at the home of Thomas S Wood of 666 Massachusetts avenue northwest, was seriously burned yesterday morning in the explosion of a kitchen stove. The aged man was near the stove when a frozen water pipe burst. The fireman responded to an alarm in time to keep the fire under control. The damage is estimated at $50.

Damage estimated at $50 was caused by the explosion of a stove in the home of Burril Jordan, at 616 Twenty-third street northwest yesterday morning. No one was near the stove when it broke in many pieces.

Truck Company No. 2 was called to the home of Frank Blackwell at 1147 Twenty-first street yesterday afternoon to put out a fire caused by the explosion of a kitchen stove and water pipe. The blaze was soon extinguished, with $40 loss.

The explosion of a kitchen stove in the home of Mrs. Ella Thomas, 903 New Hampshire avenue northwest, yesterday morning caused a small fire, with estimated damage of $50. The shattered stove was thrown in the street by the firemen and the hot coals treated with the chemical apparatus.

The Washington Post, Washington, DC 15 Jan 1912