Alexandria, Egypt Imperial Airways Plane Crash, Dec 1935


All Hope Given Up After Wreck
of the Air Liner Is Located
in Sea Off Alexandria


James C. Luke of Philadelphia
Among 9 Passengers — Pilot
Is the Sole Survivor

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt, Jan. 1 —
All hope of rescuing twelve of the
thirteen occupants of the Imperial
Airways flying boat City of Khartoum,
which was lost in the Mediterranean
off Alexandria yesterday
evening, was given up this afternoon
after the wreck had been located
and a floating crane had been
towed to the spot in order that the
hull might be raised.
The only survivor was the pilot,
Captain V. G. Wilson, who was
picked up by the British destroyer
Brilliant, after spending about five
hours in the sea.
Of the twelve who lost their lives,
nine were passengers and three
were members of the crew.
The passengers included James C.
Luke of Philadelphia, 57 years old,
a naturalized American who was
engaged in the erection of petroleum
distillation towers in the
United States and elsewhere and
was under contract to the Anglo-
Iranian Oil Company in an advisory
capacity. The only other non-
Briton was Albert Tartaglione, an
The Other Passengers.
The other passengers were Miss
V. Eckford, Mrs. A. F. Horsman,
A. J. Buckman, A. L. Garrett, Captain
R. F. Mason, who was on t he
British general headquarters staff in
the World War; W. G. Wellstead
and C. M. Marshall. The members
of the crew killed were H. Baker,
wireless operator; H. Richardson,
steward, and W. Amor, flight engineer.
Messrs. Buckman and Wellstead
also were representatives of
the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company..
The flying boat, one of the old
Calcutta three-engined type, left
Brindisi, Italy, early yesterday
morning with seven passengers,
called at Athens, where two more
embarked, and went on to Mirabella,
Crete, roughly half-way
across the Mediterranean, to take
on fuel for the remainder of the
run to Alexandria.
The journey was resumed at
noon, Greenwich mean time, and
at 5:20 P . M . t h e wireless operator
informed Alexandria that the City
of Khartoum was preparing to
alight. Nothing more was heard
or seen of the flying boat until
wreckage was found by the Brilliant
toward midnight.
Then it became evident that the
flying boat had descended about one
and a half miles outside the Alexandria
Harbor Breakwater, had
been destroyed and had sunk.
Naval vessels and other craft had
been searching the neighborhood
throughout the evening. When the
flying boat failed to appear in Alex-
andria Harbor after her last message,
assistance was sought, but in
the darkness more than five hours
elapsed before the pilot was picked
up or any other trace of the machine
was found.

Jan. 2, 1936 edition of The New York Times


Imperial Airways Alexandria Crash

My father-in-law was working for Imperial Airways in Alexandria at the time of the crash. He had one of the propellers from the plane. It is now owned by my daughter.