St. Augustine, FL Hotel San Marco Fire, Nov 1897

BIG HOTEL BURNED.

INCENDIARIES CAUSE A FIRE AT ST. AUGUSTINE, FLA.

St. Augustine, Fla., Nov. 7. -- The Hotel San Marco
one of the finest and most commodious hotel properties in this city, was burned to the ground this morning, entailing a loss of about $250,000, with less than $20,000 insurance.
The owner of the San Marco was William Boale (or Beale) of Boston, and it was leased to McDowell & Palmer, and would have been opened next month.
Incendiaries caused the fire. They had cut the rope of the fire bell, causing delay in sounding the alarm, and they also cut the suction pipes of the fire engine, which hampered the firemen in fighting the flames.
Fearing further incendiarism those in charge of the Hotel Ponce de Leon have ordered steam up constantly in order to furnish water pressure at a monent's notice. The citizens of the city have offered $500 reward for the capture of the incendiaries.

Nebraska State Journal Lincoln 1897-11-08