Atlanta, GA Electrical Shock Accident, Sept 1913


Electricity From Light Also Shocks Cunningham as He Goes to Her Aid---Was in Bath Room.

Athens, Ga., September 5.--(Special.)---Mrs. W. A. Cunningham, wife of Coach Cunningham, of the University of Georgia, was killed by an electric shock in the bathroom of their home of Cloverhurst street at 9 o'clock tonight.

She stepped into the bathroom for something and Mr. Cunningham heard her fall. He entered the room and found her unconscious. He was also shocked severely as he tried to turn on the light and from that shock discovered the cause of her death.

Physicians worked for an hour and there was at first a deep breath, but no other sign of life was noted. The cause of the heavy voltage on the incandescent light cannot be explained till further inspection of the outside wires and guys can be made.

Mrs. Cunningham was a Miss Ritter before her marriage, of Hopkinsville, Ky. Two little children survive her, a boy of 3 years and a babe in arms.

The Atlanta Constitution, Atlanta, GA 6 Sept 1913