Davisboro, GA Train Wreck, Nov 1891


Monroe Gurr is Run Over at Davisboro.

Yesterday morning the body of Monroe Gurr, a white fireman on the Central road, was brought to Macon from Davisboro, where he met his death at a late hour Tuesday night.

Gurr was run over and killed by the cars at Davisboro while supplying his engine with water from a tank near that place.

Fireman Gurr left Macon at 8 o'clock Tuesday night on a freight train bound for Savannah. Some time after 10 o'clock, as the train was nearing Davisboro, several cars broke loose, but the engineer, being ignorant of this, pulled ahead and stopped at the tank for water, Fireman Gurr stepped out on the tender to place the tank hose. As he was doing this the cars which had broken loose and which had been running down grade all the time came down on the front section with a crash.

The collision threw Gurr between the engine tender and the first car, at the same time forcing the front section forward. Gurr had falling across the outside track, and the wheels of the first car passed over his stomach, cutting him in halves. The other wheels passed over his legs, horribly mangling them. Gurr's death was instantaneous, and while his wounds were frightful, they were perhaps painless, from the fact that the man must have been knocked senseless from the fall.

The body was brought to Macon on the next train and turned over to Undertaker Clay for burial. Yesterday afternoon the remains were shipped to Waverly Hall, where Gurr was a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, and was well thought of. He carried insurance on his life to the amount of $1,500, which will be paid to his mother.

In the collision which caused Gurr's death, several cars were slightly broken up, but no serious damage was done.

The Macon Telegraph, Macon, GA 5 Nov 1891


A CORRECTION.---Munroe Gurr, who was killed in a collision on the Central railroad last week, was 18 years of age and not 25 years as stated in the TELEGRAPH. He was a native of Byron, Ga., but his mother now lives at Waverly Hall to which point his father, who died about a year and a half ago, had moved.

The Macon Telegraph, Macon, GA 7 Nov 1891