Capron, IL Drug Store Fire, Dec 1914
Fire Threatens To Wipe Out The Town Of Capron
Prompt Work Of Firemen Saves Business District From Severe Loss.
(Special to The Morning Star.)
Capron, Dec. 26.-A fire at the Wilcox & Olson Drug store caused considerable damage this morning and much excitement. About 11 o’clock the fire was discovered and it was feared at first that the whole block of buildings would go. The Capron and Poplar Grove fire departments were summoned. The fire was soon under control, however, and the loss was limited to the drug store.
The second floor of the building is occupied by Dr. and Mrs. C.E. Schweinler, who are at Fort Atkinson, Wis., for a few days. It is thought that the fire started on this floor from a defective chimney and an overheated stove. Some household goods were damaged and the rest were removed. Some of the goods in the drug store were damaged by the smoke and water and the building was damaged considerable.
N.S. Nesmith the owner of the building is in Florida for the winter. Both the building and the drug store were insured. The loss is not yet known. Had it not been for the prompt work of the Capron firemen the whole block probably would have been consumed by fire.
Morning Star, Rockford, IL 27 Dec 1914
Drug Store Fire At Capron.
(Special to the Register-Gazette.)
Capron, Ill., Dec. 28.-Fire broke out in the Wilcox Oken drug store Saturday and destroyed all of the interior of the store. The stock was saved, but was badly damaged by water. The household goods of Dr. Schwinler, who resides over the store, were all destroyed. The prompt service of citizens saved the line of stores on the north side.
Daily Register Gazette, Rockford, IL 28 Dec 1914