Madison, IN Esther Magdalena GERTZ Age 3 11 Jun 1900

Madison Courier newspaper, Madison, IN
Monday 11 June 1900; Page 4, Column 3

DEPLORABLE

Death of a Three Year Old Child
Caused by Swallowing a Beauty Pin

'Lena, the beautiful, sweet as a rose,
Fair as a lily, bright as a star,
Gentle and dutiful, called to repose,
Safe where the angels and seraphim are.

On Thursday morning last sweet little Magdalena Esther, the three year old (second) child of Mr. and Mrs. George C. GERTZ, of the City Bakery, swallowed what is commonly known as a beauty-pin. Mrs. GERTZ had just finished dressing her, and she was lying in a playful mood on the floor, when the mother noticed the pin in her hand, which the child had probably plucked from her mother's bosom while being dressed.

The mother asked her for the pin, when the child sportively hid it beneath her dress. At that moment a friend who had dropped in was just about to leave, diverting Mrs. GERTZ's attention for a second, and when she turned and asked what she had done with the pin, the child immediately answered that she had swallowed it.

Physicians were summoned, but nothing could be done, and the only evidence of trouble was an occasional hoarsness. On Saturday night, however, the awful situation dawned upon the horror-stricken parents, when a severe coughing spell set in, which terminated in the child's death about midnight. The unfortunate little one had evidently swallowed the pin unclasped, and it had lodged in her throat, with the result just stated.

The distress of the parents and relatives is great, owing to the bright, sunshiny disposition of the dear lost one, who was a general favorite in the home circle, and with all who knew her.

The funeral will take place at nine o'clock tomorrow morning from the residence, northeast corner of Main and Jefferson Streets.
----------
Esther Magdalena GERTZ
Find A Grave Memorial# 101455109