Hancock, MD Refrigerator Fire, Nov 1965

REFRIGERATOR FIRE FATAL TO BOY, 15.

A young part time employe of a Hancock fruit stand suffocated Saturday when he fell asleep in a walk-in refrigerator in which he had built a fire to keep warm.
The victim was identified as BERNARD M. BARNHART, 15, of near Hancock. State Police said the boy, apparently intending to spend the night at the stand, had built a fire in the refrigerator which had been turned off for the season.
The youth apparently fell asleep and died from lack of oxygen without awakening, police said. The ice box had a handle on the inside of the door.
BARNHART'S body was discovered Saturday afternoon by another employe of the fruit stand, owned by ALFRED E. McCORMICK and located along U.S. 40 just west of Hancock.
BARNHART was pronounced dead by Dr. E. W. Ditto, Jr., deputy county medical examiner.

Frederick Post Maryland 1965-11-01