Cockeysville, MD Railroad Accident, Sep 1861


Baltimore, Tuesday, Sept. 10, 1861.
A very serious railroad accident occurred at Spark's Station, on the Northern Central Railroad, about nineteen miles from Baltimore, on Sunday last. An extra train had been provided to convey a body of 480 cavalry (the Harris Light Cavalry) to this city on route for Washington. Nothing special occurred until the train had reached the point above named, where, in turning a curve in the road, an axle of one of the cars broke, and instantly the track was torn asunder, precipitating the entire train, one car upon another, smashing them almost literally to atoms. The train was running at a speed of about twenty miles per hour at the time of the accident.
The statement of some of the soldiers is that the engineer, FRANK GUEBRICK, of Harrisburgh, was reluctant to proceed from that place with the train, and some difficulty was had in obtaining cars, &c., that they were forced to take possession of an engine and compelled the engineer to run the train to this city. They say that when he mounted the engine he remarked, with considerable feeling, "I'll run them to Baltimore or hell by 4 o'clock," and consequently a guard was placed upon the engine to watch his movements.
This remark is denied by the engineer, who is considered by the Railroad Company to be one of their most trusty and skillful men. At the time of the accident the platforms of the cars were crowded with soldiers, nearly all of whom were more or less injured. The engineer immediately uncoupled his engine and run to Cockeysville, where he reported the accident, and trains were soon dispatched from York and this city to the scene of the disaster. Great indignation was expressed against the engineer by the soldiers, who charge him with being the assassin of those who were killed, and the attempted murderer of the entire regiment.
The following is a list of the killed and wounded:
EDWARD L. LYON, Quartermaster Sergeant, (a cousin of the late Gen. Lyon) of Ashford, Conn., killed instantly.
WM. GERMAN, form Collingville, killed.
J. McDONALD, from Newburgh, N.Y., killed.
ROBERT HOPKINS, form Nagatuck, not likely to recover.
J. C. DONNELLY, injured on the head and breast.
FRANCIS FLYNN, from Scranton, Penn., sprained ankle.
JNO. MURPHY, of New York City, left foot badly injured and ankle sprained.
PETER PETERSON, of Troy, bruised about the head and badly injured in right leg.
JAMES FULLER, of Connecticut, injured in the back.
HENRY W. ALLEN, of Connecticut, sprained ankle.
MICHAEL DOWYER, of New York City, injured in breast, left shoulder and right leg.
W. H. MILLER, of Scranton, Penn., injured in hip and left leg.
ANTHONY O'DONNELL, of Providence, R. I., injured in right shoulder and ankle.
JAMES DUNNELL, badly bruised in left arm and head.
Several others were more or less injured, but not seriously.
The dead bodies were brought to this city and placed in the new Hospital (the National Hotel) lately leased by Government, as also were the wounded, who are being carefully attended. Two of the horses were instantly killed, and two men who were in the car with them were injured in their hands.
The dead bodies will be conveyed to their respective homes over the Philadelphia and Wilmington Road as soon as arrangements can be made.
The engineer and BRADLEY SHIPLEY, the fireman, were both arrested, and yesterday committed to jail to answer an investigation. The officers of the road exonerate the engineer from all blame in the matter. Some of the soldiers say the train was running at the rate of sixty miles an hour at the time of the accident, but this is contradicted by the employes of the road.

The New York Times New York 1861-09-12