Baltimore, MD Bridal Veil Fire, Jul 1914
NUN'S BRIDAL VEIL ABLAZE.
Tragedy Nearly Mars Miss Nicholson's Entrance Into Carmelite Order.
Special to The Washington Post.
Baltimore, Md., July 17.----Tragedy nearly marred the ceremonies at the Carmelite convent Thursday, where Miss Genevieve Nicholson received the white veil of a Carmelite nun, and when the bridal veil which Miss Nicholson wore to the altar caught fire from a candle. In a moment the filmy garment was ablaze. An attendant rushed to the young woman's aid and beat out the fire. The entire back of the cap into which the veil was caught was burned as well as some of Miss Nicholson's hair. The fire, however, did not touch her skin.
Miss Nicholson had just bidden her relatives and friends good-by, and was mounting the steps leading to the sanctuary. After the blaze had been extinguished, and it was seen that Miss Nicholson was practically uninjured, the ceremonies proceeded.
The Washington Post, Washington, DC 18 Jul 1914