Aberdeen, MD Triple Train Collision, Jan 1929


Passenger Train Ploughs Into Freight, Cars Pile Up On Adoining[sic] Track.

By The Associated Press
Aberdeen, Md., Jan. 17 -- A double collision, involving two Pennsylvania railroad passenger trains and a freight train, killed four trainmen and seriously injured another. Conductors of the two passenger trains declared none of their passengers were seriously hurt.
Passenger train No. 412, bound from Washington for Philadelphia, struck the freight train, also northbound, just after it pulled from a siding, near Short Lane station, near here. Freight cars toppled onto the southbound track in front of express train No. 121, from New York to Washington.
K. A. KLEIN, brakeman of the freight train, and V. W. STEWART, flagman, were killed in the first crash and A. C. TERHUNE, engineer of the southbound expresss train, and M. GOLDSTEIN, his fireman, were killed when their train ploughed into the wreckage. Bodies of the two from the freight crew and of the passenger firemen were removed and taken to an undertaking establishment here. The body of the express engineer was still under the engine five hours after the wreck, workmen having been prevented by outpouring steam from recovering it.
LEON SWEETING, engineer of the northbound passenger train, was badly scalded and was taken to the Havre de Grace Hospital, where his condition is reported to be serious. JOHN H. LEE, fireman on the same train, was in the hospital, suffering from shock.
Havre de Grace, Md., Jan. 17 -- Four men were believed to be dead in a triple train crash which occurred at Short Lane, near here today when a northbound Pennsylvania Railroad passenger train struck the rear end of a greight train, overturning three freight cars in the path of a southbound passenger train.
BOdies of the baggagemaster and flagman of the northbound passenger train were taken from the wreckage and the engineer and fireman of the southbound New York to Washington passenger train were reported to be dead in the cabs of the engine. Efforts to reach the bodies, believed to be in the cab were futile, because of steam.
LEON SWEETING, 50 years old, engineer of the northbound Washington to Philadelphia train, was removed from the wreckage and taken to Havre de Grace Hospital where his condition was critical.
The collision occurred in a heavy fog, which it is believed prevented the engineer of the northbound passenger train from seeing the tail-light of the freight.
Some passengers on the northbound and southbound trains were said to have been slightly injured, but none was reported in serious condition. DR. HENRY VAN DYKE, on the southbound train, on his way to a testimonial dinner given at Baltimore to DR. W. H. WELCH, was not hurt.
The triple crash tore up about 150 yards of track and uprooted signal and telegraph poles.
Trains were re-routed over the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad tracks, while relief trains were sent here from Baltimore.
Later information received by the company from the place of the wreck definitely established the deaths of two members of the freight crew, B. W. STEWART, flagman, and E. A. KLEIN, brakeman.
JOHN LEE, of Philadelphis, fireman on the Washington-bound train, was brought to the hospital here, but was reported not seriously injured.

The Frederick Post Maryland 1929-01-18