Baltimore, MD Hopkins Place Fire, Sept 1887
Fire In Hopkins Place.
Partial Burning of Fine Warehouses and Heavy Damages to Property.
[Reported for the Baltimore Sun.]
The paper and paper stock establishment of Dobler & Mudge, occupying the four-story brick building 113 Hopkins Place, (formerly Sharp street) between Lombard and Pratt streets, was almost completely destroyed by fire early yesterday morning, causing an estimated damage of $45,000 to the stock, upon which there is an insurance of $66,100. The building, owned by Mr. John King Jr., president of the Erie Railroad Company, was badly damaged in the upper stories. The roof was burned away. The loss on the building is estimated at $6,000, covered by insurances in New York companies. The four-story building adjoining on the south, occupied by Henry S. King & Sons, dealers in hardware, woodenware and tinware, was slightly damaged. The stock was damaged by water. The second, third and fourth floors of this building are occupied by F.W. & E. Damann, dealers in cloths and cassimeres (sic). The stock was slightly damaged by water. The Messrs. King are insured for $40,000, and the Messrs. Dammann for $20,000. The four-story building adjoining on the north, occupied by M.S. Levy & Sons, manufacturers of straw goods, was slightly damaged. The stock is insured for $40,000, and is slightly damaged by water. Both of these buildings are owned by Mr. John King, Jr., and are insured.
The fire was discovered at twenty minutes past three o’clock by Sergeant Kircsch, of the central police district, and an alarm sounded from box 513. The firemen, on reaching the ground, saw the building in flames, and a second and third alarm were turned in, and the full department , with the exception of the reserve engines, was brought into service. The flames raged fiercely, and it appeared as though the surrounding property would also be destroyed. The well-directed management of the firemen, however, prevented this. The work of the men was favorably commented upon by those who saw the fire. The noticeable feature of the fight against the flames was the throwing of a heavy stream of water on top of the buildings. An engine was stationed in the centre of the street, directly in front of the fire, and a Siamese coupler brought into play, which allowed to streams of water to pass through the same hose. The big stream did effective work, and saved the adjoining property, and materially aided in quenching the fire. The stream was sent fully twenty feet higher that the roof of the building, and dropped down upon it with considerable force.
The fire originated on the third floor of Dobler & Mudge’s building, in the rear portion. It is said to have started in a lot of paper stock from spontaneous combustion. The reflection of the fire could be seen from great distances, and, though occurring at an early hour, attracted a considerable crowd to the scene. Marshal Frey and Captains Farnan, Cadwallader and Claiborne were on hand and assisted in keeping the people out of the firemen’s way. The reserve squad of the central station also did good work. The residents in the neighborhood viewed the fire from their windows, and some dressed themselves and came down on the pavement.
Messrs. Dobler & Mudge, who are the heaviest sufferers, carried a stock of $75,000.
The building in which the fire started is one of a row of five, all alike in construction and finish. They are red, brick, with dark stone trimmings. They are all owned by Mr. John King Jr., Messrs. Dobler & Mudge devoted their entire building to the handling of their stock. Their mills are in Baltimore county.
Sun, Baltimore, MD 23 Sept 1887