Frederick, MD Chartered Coach Bus Crash, Aug 1985


Frederick, Md. (AP) -- Passengers were hurled from a bus, some thrown more than 100 feet down a hill to a river bank, when the chartered coach crashed, into a bridge guardrail, killing five people and injuring all 12 others aboard, police said.
Seven of the injured remained hospitalized today, three in critical condition, hospital officials said.
The bus was traveling in heavy rain Sunday afternoon from Baltimore to Charles Town, W. Va., for horse races at the Charles Town Turf Club when the bus struck the front of the bridge that carries Interstate 70 over the Monocacy River, said state police Sgt. Bill Tower.
"That's when the front of the bus was nearly ripped off," he said.
The driver and a passenger were thrown onto a bank of the Monocacy and witnesses reported other passengers were thrown onto the roadway as the bus slid across the bridge, said Tower, who was out for a Sunday drive in the area and was among the first to arrive at the site.
"There were quite a number of people lying all over the road," he said. "One person landed about five feet from the water's edge on the river bank and the other one landed in a wooded area near the river bank."
Tower said police had not officially determined the cause of the accident.
"Speed and driver error and weather conditions can certainly be considered factors initially," he said.
The driver of the bus, identified as GEORGE WHALAN BROWN, 68, of Baltimore was pronounced dead at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, where he was flown by state police helicopter.
Trooper Tim Miller, the investigating officer, identified the others killed as:

Casa Grande Dispatch Arizona 1985-08-26

From a follow-up article:
Another passenger aboard the ill-fated chartered bus died Tuesday afternoon at Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems, Baltimore.
ROBERTO HARRIS, 73, Baltimore, died of injuries sustained in the Sunday afternoon accident on I-70, east of Frederick.
HARRIS' death brings to six the number of people killed in the accident, making it one of the worst in recent memory, said Sgt. M. M. Mastrino, duty officer at the Frederick state police barracks. "It is very rare that we have an accident as serious as this one."
VIOLA NUNN and MAX ASKIN remained in critical condition at Frederick Memorial Hospital, while REATHELLIA REED was listed in fair condition at Washington County Hospital. Listed in satisfactory condition Tuesday night at FMH were LOUIS PIZZA, WEBSTER CLARK, WILLIAM BIRKETT and JOHN DEMPSKI.