Wagners Point, MD House Fires, Jul 1898
SEVEN DWELLINGS BURNED
Fire At Wagner's Point, Anne Arundel County, Near Curtis Bay---Occupants Of The Houses.
Seven two-story brick houses were burned to the ground early Saturday morning at Wagner's Point, Anne Arundel county, near Curtis bay. They were a part of a row of fifteen dwellings on Third avenue, and were owned by the Martin Wagner Packing Company. They were occupied by employes[sic] of the company. The fire started in house No. 101, near the end of the row, a few minutes before 3 o'clock, and before it was discovered had gained such headway that it was impossible to extinguish the flames with the limited means at hand. The fire quickly spread to the adjoining buildings, and half an hour later seven houses were in flames. The occupants were aroused, and, with their furniture and wearing apparel.
When it was seen that the fire was likely to prove disastrous a telephone request was sent to Baltimore for the fireboat Cataract, but the fire department declined to permit the vessel to leave the city. The East Brooklyn fire company responded to an alarm, and by hard work saved a part of the row by tearing down a portion of one of the buildings. A line of hose was run from a tank near the scene of the fire, and a bucket brigade was formed, which was of valuable assistance in subduing the flames.
Dwelling No. 99 to No.111 were entirely consumed. No. 90 was occupied by Charles Hern, wife and three children, and Andrew Boroski, wife and one child. About half of their furniture was destroyed.
No.101 by John Tulinski, wife and five children, and John Andzki.
No.103 by Robert Nagebauer, wife and three children and John Heit. They saved everything except the kitchen furniture. No.105 by Henry Kistler, wife and two children, and Minnie Schulter and four children.
No.107 by John Kaduiski, wife and two children. They were away from home at the time and nearly all of their furniture was destroyed.
Mary Lavinski and her child occupied No.100.
Jacob Kaduiski occupied No.111 with his wife and eight children.
The furniture was strewn in heaps about the village, and much of it was damaged.
The Sun, Baltimore, MD 11 Jul 1898