Baltimore, MD House Fire, Feb 1915


John Parne And Wife Escape From Fire In Their Home.

John Parne, 4 East York street, and his wife slid down a rope formed of bed clothing early yesterday morning to escape from fire which had broken out in their house. They were aroused by the odor of smoke and forced the lower floor filled with it. While Mrs. Parne called out the window for help Parne tied two blankets together and dropped one end of the rope over the sill.

Patrolman {illegible}wein, of the Southern district, who heard Mrs. Parne’s calls, sounded an alarm from Charles and Hill streets and then ran to the house. He helped the couple to make their escape down the improvised rope. The fire started from an overheated stove.

Sun, Baltimore, MD 22 Feb 1915