Annapolis Junction, MD Railroad Accident, June 1869


Baltimore, June 10. - Mr. King, Vice-President of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and William Toole, Assistant Superintendent of Transportation, give the following statement in regard to the accident which occurred to the through express train from Washington to New York last night:

The train was proceeding at the usual speed, when, just after passing Annapolis Junction, on entering the cut a few hundred yards from the junction north, near the point where the carriage road crosses the railroad, the engine struck a cow. The cow-catcher threw the beast from the track against the bank, and the engine, tender, baggage and mail car passed on safely, when the cow rolled down the bank under the wheels of the smoking or forward passenger car.
The train was stopped about one hundred yards from the point where the cow was struck. The smoking car, filled with passengers, was thrown off the track on the north side of the road, completely wrecked and crushed. The second passenger car mounted the smoking car and rested on it. This car was badly damaged, but was not broken up. The next, a chair car, ran on the wreck and into it a few feet, and was considerably battered. The only persons injured were in the first two passenger cars, and the number is stated at eight. Of those, SAMUEL WERT, a German gentleman of Atlanta, Georgia, was the only person seriously and dangerously injured.
He was in the smoking car, and was on his way to Europe. The other seven persons were more or less bruised and cut, but none of them fatally or dangerously. A colored woman had her collar bone broken. The names of the parties hurt are not given. One was a child named LINCOLN, in charge of its grandmother, and nursed by a colored woman who was injured. MR. ELBOWS, of New York, was one of the injured.
As soon as the news of the accident reached the city, about 10 P.M., a train with physicians and assistance was immediately dispatched to the wreck.
The delayed train reached here at 5 P.M., and proceeded immediately to New York.

The Evening Telegraph Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1869-06-10