Baltimore, MD Telegraph Office Fire, Apr 1873

Fire in the Telegraph Office in Baltimore

BALTIMORE, Md., April 20. -- About 12 o'clock last night, a fire broke out in the battery room of the Western Union Telegraph office, and soon after its discovery an explosion occurred, which was supposed to be one of the carboys of acid. The fireman found it extremely difficult to extinguish the flames, on account of the acid. They succeeded, however, in containing the fire to the room in which it originated. The operating room and the office of the New York Associated Press, on the floor below, were deluged with water. The damage done has been repaired, and business will not be interrupted.

The New York Times, New York, NY 21 Apr 1873