Maryland Storm, Jun 1911

Baltimore, June 12 – Three terrific storms, following each other in succession, did incalculable damage in the suburbs of Baltimore this evening. The first of these struck the city about 6 o'clock and was ushered in by a wind that gradually increased in velocity until it blew a gale. The air, which had been heated, suddenly turned cold and a comparatively light rain increased in volume until it fell in torrents. With a surprising suddenness, there was another change. The rain turned to hail, and stones as large as walnuts came down with terrific force and in quantities. For half an hour these fell withing a radius of 10 miles, destroying vegetation, ruining orchards, and putting out of commission nearly all of the telephone and telegraph wires.

Train Has Narrow Escape.
The Colonial Express on the Pennsylvania Railroad, which left Washington for Boston at 5:35 p. m., had a narrow escape from wreck north of Baltimore. Near Magnolia, Md., the engineer saw a tree lying across the track. He could not avoid crashing into the obstruction. The crew had to use axes to remove the tree from the tracks.
Telegraph wires and poles were blown down for miles. Near Elkton, Md., the southbound Colonial Express was stopped by a red light at the signal tower. Investigation disclosed that the operator had been struck by lightning. His condition is serious.
The area damaged extends from Cockeysville to the north, Green Spring valley to the west, and Baltimore to the south.
According to the actual measurement by the weather bureau, there were two inches of hail, although in some districts it drifted to a great height. So thick were the stones that a man living at Towson took it up in shovels and filled his ice box.
Those caught in the open were pelted so that they were obliged to hunt cover. No one was injured, but the property loss was exceedingly heavy. In some sections, where the buildings were exposed, every window pane was broken.
As most of the telephone wires are out of commission, complete information is not available, but enough is known to warrant the statement that all the crops between the points named are destroyed absolutely. About twenty nurseries were razed, the hail crushing through the hot-houses and killing all of the plants. Not one pane of glass remained. Trees were blown in every direction by the wind that preceded the hailstorm, and travel was delayed fully an hour.

Towson Put In Darkness.
At Towson, the county seat of Baltimore county, the electric light plant was put out of business, and the town is in darkness.
To add to all other discomfort a second storm followed an hour later, and lasted about half an hour, but the greatest downpour of rain came tonight about 8 o'clock, when for nearly two hours it came down in sheets, flooding the streets and cellars and rendering the roads almost impassable. In some sections the washouts have rendered wagon travel dangerous, especially since they had already been blocked in part by falling trees. According to the local weather bureau more rain fell in the past 24 hours in this section than in a similar period in many years.

Damage in Washington County.
Hagerstown, Md., June 12. -- Washington county early this morning was visited by two heavy thunderstorms, resulting in considerable damage. A horse at Funkstown was struck by lightning and killed. The frame dwelling house of PHILLIP LITTLE, at Hancock, was struck and the gable end was torn away. The house caught fire, but the blaze was soon extinguished.
The residence of GEORGE MOORE, at Boonsboro, was struck and the chimney demolished. Stoufferstown schoolhouse was wrecked by the wind. The barn of CRAIG ROGERS, of Fayetteville, was moved from its foundations. The stables of EMANUEL CARBAUGH and WILLIAM CARBAUGH, near Fayetteville, were blown down. The barn of AMOS LEHMAN was partly wrecked.

The Washington Post District of Columbia 1911-06-13