Baltimore, MD Huge Fire Ravages Baltimore, July 1873

Baltimore Fire of 1873


Baltimore, July 26. -- This morning's Sun estimates the loss by the fire yesterday at $500,000, and states that good judges place the damage as low as between $300,000 and $400,000. Gazette estimates the loss at from $500,000 to $800,000, and the American says the loss will closely approximate $1,000,000.
The fire will probably be confined to an area bounded by Lexington street on the south, Howard street on the west, Mulberry street on the north, and Liberty street on the east.

New York, July 26. -- A Baltimore special says the fire in several portions in the burned district swept rapidly through roofs and left the lower portions of whole rows scarcely damaged. This seemed to be caused by the large number of shingle roofs which are so exceedingly dry as to burn like grass. In this way the fire actually crossed over streets in which engines continued to work, and left a portion of the fire brigade working in the very center of the burning blocks. Water was so nearly exhausted before the fire was under control as to make it necessary to dam up the gutters, and so supply some of the fire engines. The casualties were of no importance, except the case of sister RINALDI, a nun in the convent of St. Alphonso's Church, who died from fright. During the fire an engine exploded, injuring two firemen.

Baltimore, July 26. -- The insurance in burnt district is estimated at $200,000. The entire loss is not estimated to exceed $1,000,000 by any one, and some insurance men still put the loss as not to exceed $400,000. Marshal GREY, of the police department, during the height of the excitement was urged to blow up a building to stop the progress of the flames, but he was satisfied that such extreme measures were unnecessary. Aid was tendered from Philadelphia and Harrisburg and Alexandria, Va., and other points, which was promptly acknowledged by the authorities, with the request that it be held in readiness, in case it should be needed. An aid train from Washington, with three flat cars, having on board two steamers and two hose reels and one passenger car filled with firemen, made the run in forty minutes, averaging a mile a minute. The cars from Washington with the two fire and three hook and ladder companies of this city were all that were engaged in staying the conflagration.

The Davenport Daily Gazette Iowa 1873-07-27