Boston, MA Globe Theatre Fire, Jan 1894

Boston MASS Globe Theatre.jpg

GLOBE THEATRE DESTROYED BY FIRE.

EXPLOSION OF GAS STARTED THE BLAZE EARLY THIS MORNING.

Boston, Jan. 2. -- 2:15 A. M. -- At 1:15 this morning an explosion of gas caused a fire in the Globe Theatre on Washington Street, between Essex Street and Hayward Place.
The fire started near the scene room, and spread rapidly through the building.
HANLON Brothers "Superba" was occupying the house, and the properties were saved with great difficulty.
The flames soon spread to the Globe Cafe, on Hayward Place, owned by H. BROCK, and to the upper portion of a new building corner of Washington Street and Hayward Place, owned by the Harvard College Trustees and occupied by MILLER & Co., printers; the Free Employment Bureau, and GEORGE KAFFER, window shades, &c.
The fire is not yet under control. The Globe Theatre will undoubtedly prove a total loss.
The Globe Theatre was first called SELWYN'S Theatre, and was built about 1867 by the Boston Amusement Company, by DEXTER H. FOLLET, as a rival to the famous Museum. Under the management of JOHN SELWYN, who had been a scene painter and actor, a fine stock company was maintained. After his death the house was renamed the Globe and was managed for a number of years by ARTHUR CHENEY, one of the original owners. After MR. CHENEY gave up the house in 1877 JOHN STETSON took the lease for a year, and this was renewed in 1878. He has since managed the house sucessfully. The Globe was a fine theatre, with many recent improvements. Many of the most popular stars and combinations played there. Its seating capacity was 2,200 larger than that of any other house in Boston except the enormous Boston Theatre.

The New York Times New York 1894-01-02

Comments

Globe Theater

The Globe Theater in the picture accompanying this article is not the same as the one that is being described. The one in the picture was built in 1903 down the street from the one described in the article and is still standing (it is now occupied by the Empire Garden Chinese restaurant). Both were on Washington Street, but the one that burned in 1892 was located between Hayward Place and Essex Street; the one in the picture is between Kneeland Street and Beach Street.