Boston, MA Hotel Fire, Jan 1891

A BOSTON HOTEL ON FIRE.

ALL THE GUESTS BUT ONE ESCAPED WITHOUT INJURY -- THE LOSS SMALL.

Boston, Jan. 9. -- Fire broke out in the office of the Crawford House, at Brattle Street and Scolly Square, at 3:15 A.M., and the office was gutted, causing a loss of several thousand dollars. The alarm was given to the guests almost instantly, and all escaped in a partially dressed condition. One man jumped through a second story window on the Brattle Street side and was severely injured. The injured man is A. E. MEEK of Denver, Col. He was picked up insensible and taken to the Massachusetts General Hospital, where it was found that he had received a fracture of the ankle and possibly internal injuries.
The guests of the hotel, about 125 in number, were cared for at the Quincy House, near by. Several were so overcome that they had to be conveyed thither in carriages. The fire was out in half an hour, but it was several hours before the majority of the guests could be persuaded to return to the Crawford, and some refused to return at all.
The wood work and contents of the main office, barber's shop, servants' dining room, and pantry are charred and burned, gas fixtures bent, and walls blackened and glass cracked and shivered. The main office is a wreck. Still, the fire had not time to penetrate far into the walls. HENRY GOODWIN and GEORGE A. KIMBACH, owners of the building, believe their damage will not exceed $8,000. The insurance is $23,000. It is now believed that the fire originated in the coat room from spontaneous combustion.

The New York Times New York 1891-01-10