Chelsea, MA Town Conflagration, July 1857
DISASTROUS CONFLAGRATION IN CHELSEA -- LOSS $50,000.
From the Boston Traveller.
Thursday night, the city of Chelsea was visited by one of the most destructive fires which has ever taken place there, and which resulted in a large loss of property.
At about 12 o'clock, fire was discovered issuing from a closet in a dwelling house, No. 162 Cedar street, which was one of a block of about twenty-four houses. The fire spread quickly, and soon the building was in flames. An alarm was given, the firemen were prompt on the ground, but scarcity of water prevented their immediate action, and in the meantime the flames gained an alarming headway, and soon the entire building, which is three stories in height, was enveloped in flames. The flames then ran through into house No. 160, which suddenly took, was speedily enveloped, and soon entirely gutted.
The buildings were of brick, three stories in height, and very fine edifices. We have obtained the following list of the parties who were rendered houseless by this disastrous fire:
No. 138 was occupied by O. J. CONAN. This tenement was not injured by the fire, and MR. C. only suffered in removal of his furniture.
Nos. 140, 142 and 144 were unoccupied, and were all nearly destroyed.
No. 146 was occupied by DWIGHT MASON, and was entirely destroyed. His loss to furniture by removal was great.
MR. HENRY MASON, proprietor of the Chelsea Pioneer, occupied house No. 148. His loss is considerable by removal. The building was entirely destroyed. The above buildings were owned by MR. GERRISH, of Chelsea.
No. 150 was occupied by HUGH JAMESON, and was entirely destroyed. He lost considerable of his furniture by removal. The house was owned by MR. HACKETT, of Boston, but whether insured we are unable to state.
Tenements Nos. 152 and 154 were entirely destroyed. They were unoccupied.
House No. 156 was occupied by ALONZO EMERY, and was also completely destroyed. MR. EMERY lost a considerable portion of his furniture by removal.
Houses Nos. 158, 160, 162, and 164, were also completely destroyed. They were unoccupied. The above houses were owned by MR. GERRISH.
No. 166 was occupied by JOHN TURNER, and leased by MR. PRICE. MR. TURNER lost a good portion of his furniture by removal and fire.
BENJAMIN EDDY occupied No. 168, which was also totally destroyed. He lost a considerable portion of his furniture by the hasty removal.
No. 170 was occupied by E. O. AYRES, which was also totally destroyed. He lost a considerable portion of his furniture by removal. These three buildings were owned by MR. GIDDINGS, of New York.
Nos. 172, 174, 176, and 178 were all more or less injured. The two first were burnt, and the remaining two slightly. The four last were owned by MR. GERRISH.
The loss by this fire cannot be less than $50,000.
The New York Times New York 1857-07-11