123

Pittsfield, MA House Fire, Jun 1907

BERKSHIRE COUNTY.

PITTSFIELD.

It was learned yesterday that the fire resulting in the destruction of the Delean house on the Whitney game preserve on October mountain a few weeks ago was caused by engineers employed by the board of public works. The loss about $400 and there was no insurance. Ex-Senator Thomas Post of Lenox, who has charge of the estate, said yesterday afternoon that the engineers were given the right to occupy the building a part of winter, during which time preliminary surveys were made in connection with increasing the city’s water supply. It is understood that the fire was caused by a defective chimney which became overheated and ignited the woodwork.

Springfield Republican, Springfield, MA 25 Jun 1907

123