Springfield, MA Opera House Fire, Apr 1897


The Opera House Burned and Two Persons Overcome by Smoke.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., April 5.---A stubborn fire which broke out in the Gilmore Opera House at 11:30 o'clock to-night gutted the block and caused a loss of between $80,000 and $100,000.

The fire is supposed to have started in the Acme Laundry, and had gained such headway before it was discovered that a general was sounded. Mrs. Mary Turner, and old lady, who roomed in the block, was overcome by the smoke and Capt. Boss of Chemical Engine, No. 1, who was attempting to get her out of the room, was also overcome. Both were taken out, but Mrs. Turner's condition is critical.

The New York Times, New York, NY 6 Apr 1897