Browns Banks, MA Fishing Schooner YAKIMA Sinks in Blizzard, Jan 1908


Giant Comber Sweeps Schooner's Captain Into Sea

The Yakima Is Caught In Big Blizzard Off Brown's Banks.

Men Unable to Assist Their Drowning Commander.

Caught up by a towering wave as he was part way up the cabin gangway. Capt. Alfred Green of the T wharf fishing schooner Yakima, was swept into the ocean off Brown Banks in last Friday's blizzard. He clung to wreckage that was torn from the vessel by the same giant comber and finally sank to his death within sight of his agonized crew. Not a man could aid him, for the schooner was on her beam-ends and the crew expected every moment nothing less than that they, too, would be claimed by the hungry waves.

The Yakima, in command of Purser Lewis Amaro, made her way slowly up to T. wharf yesterday, with her flag at half-mast, and almost before the little schooner was tied up to her berth, it was known that Capt Green was the first victim of the blizzard among the fishing fleet. His wife and little daughter were waiting his return at their home in Gloucester.

Was Running to Cover.

The Yakima had been on the banks for some days before the big storm broke. Though his catch had not been a big one, Capt. Green did not like the looks of the weather. The barometer suddenly showed an amazing tumble, and the skipper believed it was time to run to cover. This was at 9 o'clock Friday morning. The fishing gear was taken in, the buoys gathered up and sails were set on record time. But it was then too late. For the northeaster within a short time was tearing up the seas at the rate of seventy miles an hour.

Everything was made as snug as possible by Capt. Green. The crew took their lives in their handle when they attempted to stay on deck and Wallace Hubbard was lashed at the wheel. Gigantic crests tumbled over the vessel's bow and it seemed as if no craft could live in such an awful turmoil. Capt. Green at 3 in the afternoon determined to go on deck to try to ease the violent laboring of the schooner.