South Boston, MA Basement Fire, Jan 1899

HAD NARROW ESCAPE.

Boston, Jan. 29.--Fire was discovered in the basement of the three-and-a-half story wooden building at 257 to 259 Broadway, South Boston, Saturday morning. The fire spread with alarming rapidity and soon reached the roof. The first floor and basement was occupied by M. O. Keefe, grocer, and was completely destroyed. The second floor was occupied by Dr. J. J. Madden and J. Welsh. The third floor was occupied by Mrs. Carey and used as a boarding house. When the fire department reached the place the fire had gained considerable headway and the rooms were filled with a choking smoke. Mrs. Welsh and her three children were rescued by Chief Mullen just as they were succumbing te[sic] suffocation. The loss is estimated at a little over $10,000. The building is owned by the J. P. Dyer estate.

The Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH 30 Jan 1899