Pelham, MA House Explosion, Jan 1891

Injured by an Expanding Cartridge.

Amherst, Mass., Jan 9.--The foreman of the Asbestos mine in Pelham placed a powder cartridge in the oven of John Rowell’s where he boarded, to warm. The cartridge exploded, blowing the stove to pieces, smashing all the windows and setting the house on fire. Mrs. J. R. Rowell had both legs crushed, one leg being torn off, and Mrs. Nelson Powell, her daughter-in-law, was badly injured.

Dunkirk Evening Observer, Dunkirk, NY 9 Jan 1891