Boston, MA Bark WILD HUNTER Fire, Jun 1882



BOSTON, June 26.----The bark Wild Hunter, Capt. Treat, from Savannah, via Boston, for Reval, has been burned at sea, 90 miles east of Sambro, Nova Scotia. The crew were saved by the American fishing schooner Colorado, and arrived at Halifax this morning. The Wild Hunter was 1,000 tons burden, built at East Dennis, Cape Cod, in 1855, owned in Boston by George C. Lord & Co., and insured here. The Captain gives the following account of the disaster: "The Wild Hunter sailed from Boston on the 18th inst. with 8,300 bales of cotton consigned to order in Reval, and at noon, having a head wind, anchored in Light-house Channel. On the morning of the 19th she got under way in clear weather and a south-west wind. Nothing unusual happened until last Thursday night at 10 o'clock, when the first mate discovered smoke issuing through the main hatch and increasing in volume. All hands were set at work, and holes were cut through the deck and water in as great a quantity as possible sent into the hold with the force-pump to quench the fire. At 6 o'clock next morning the smoke had ceased to issue from the hold and it was thought by the Captain that he had succeeded in extinguishing the fire; but, at intervals during the day, fearing that a few sparks might still remain in the cotton and cause a fresh outbreak, water was forced in between decks and a sharp watch kept by the men the whole time. Saturday morning at 4 o'clock smoke was discovered in a new corner, coming from under the starboard mizzen channel. A hole was cut through and water poured into the furthest point that could be reached. This had apparently done its work, as the smoke went nearly down and everything looked favorable to the fire being kept under control until the ship could reach Halifax, for which place she was now headed. At 10 o'clock the schooner Colorado hove in sight, and, being signaled by the Wild Hunter, bore down and was requested to keep along side. At 2 o'clock in the afternoon a boat's crew from the Colorado boarded the bark, and four of the schooner's men remained to assist the crews of the burning ship in their efforts to keep down the flames. Shortly afterward, however, fire broke out in another place through the cabin floor and gained headway so quickly that it soon became beyond the power of the men to extinguish it at and 4 o'clock, seeing it was useless to work longer, the crew abandoned her and were taken on board the Colorado. The fire before the men left had broken out in several places in after parts of the ship, and when the Colorado left the vicinity, at 8 o'clock, having laid to until that hour, the vessel was in flames.

The New York Times, New York, NY 27 Jun 1882