Vineyard Haven, MA Schooner ANNIE E. RUDOLPH Sinking, May 1897


The Schooner Annie E. Rudolph Run Down by the Tugboat Paoli Yesterday.


Two Were Saved by the Paoli, but the Bodies of the Others Were Lost----The Schooner, It Is Said, Showed No Lights.

VINEYARD HAVEN, Mass., May 9.---The tug Paoli, Capt. Harding, brought the news here this afternoon of the collision with and the sinking of the schooner Annie E. Rudolph of Camden, N. J., off the Nauset Light, early this morning, and the loss of her skipper, Capt. Gardiner, Mate Snell, and a Norwegian seaman called Bob. The balance of the crew of the Rudolph, consisting of Steward George Brown and a seaman named Johnson, were saved by the crew of the Paoli.

The collision between the tug and the schooner took place about three and a half miles southeast of the Three Lights, which surmount the Bluffs of Nanset, and occurred about 3 o'clock this morning. The Paoli was on her way from Boston bound for South Amboy with the barges Braddock, Strafford, and Moore strug out in a long line behind, making a tow of nearly half a mile. The tug left Boston late yesterday afternoon, and the barges being light, made good headway rounding the cape about midnight, and under a clear sky, proceeded down the coast toward the shoals.

Notwithstanding the clearness of the sky, however, a dull haze hung over the water, limiting the range of vision. The three lights of Nanset were abeam by 3 o'clock, and Capt. Harding was peering out for the two lights at Chatham, when suddenly a schooner loomed up dead ahead. The accounts of the appearance of the schooner are conflicting, and it is said that she carried no lights. Her approach, however, was very sudden, and before the tug could swerve from her course, hampered as she was somewhat by the barges astern, the two vessels came together, the sharp prow of the tug plunging into the schooner's side and tearing a hole into which tons of water rushed.

The schooner careened under the blow of the collision, and almost before the crew of either vessel realized what had occurred, she plunged downward into the depths of the ocean. The crew of the tug were horrified at the sudden disappearance of the schooner. It was but a moment's time for her to back water and, dropping her three barges, the Paoli put back to the place where it was thought the schooner had sunk. After a few minutes' search, Steward Brown was picked up, and then Johnson was hauled out of what was almost his watery grave. But this was all that the sea would give up. Somewhere about fifty feet beneath the waves was the skipper, his mate, and the other unfortunate mariner, carried down by the final plunge of their craft.

Continued on page 2