Kalamazoo, MI Train And Street Car Collide, Nov 1910


J. L. LANG, 35.
All the dead except MOSK lived in Kalamazoo.

Kalamazoo, Mich., Nov. 13. -- Six persons are dead and twenty-six injured, four probably fatally, as the result of a collision between a street car on the Kalamazoo city lines of the Michigan United Railways company and a westbound express train on the Michigan Central railroad, last night. All the dead and injured were passengers on the street car.
The train was running into the city at high speed, and as it rounded a curve it crashed into the street car.
Conductor VERN VAN HORN, of the street car, was standing between the Michigan Central double track. VAN HORN claims he did not see the train or hear it, until it was directly upon him. It was then too late to stop the car. The train hit the front end of the car, tearing it to bits. Mangled passengers, living and dead, were carried on the front of the engine nearly a block before the train was brought to a stop.
Motorman ABBOTT with the cut-off was pulled from under the engine unconcious. The living were lifted from the front of the engine and with those taken from the ruins of the street car, were hurried to hospitals.
The passengers who were caught in the cars were burned and shocked from an electric current that was continually running through the metallic parts of the car until the trolley was removed.
MISS ELVIRA CRAIG was frightfully burned. Her back was a mass of charred flesh. For nearly a minute she lay in the street with her clothes ablaze before being discovered. Shortly after her removal to the hospital she died.
MISS CORA FRENTHOWAY lay all night beside the track unconscious from terrible injuries. She was removed to her home some time today.
The railroad companies refused to give out a statement concerning the wreck, but have already begun an investigation.

Detroit, Nov. 13. -- Richard H. L'Hommedion, general manager of the Michigan Central railroad, returned tonight from Kalamazoo, where he investigated last night's accident.
"The train was running about twenty-five miles an hour," he said, "which probably would exceed the ordinance limit. The fact that the express train was delayed five hours in getting out of New York, however, was not responsible for its speed in running through Kalamazoo. In such localities as that where the accident occurred, the engineer would have been running his train at that speed had he been on time."
"Freight cars standing near the crossing made it absolutely impossible for him to see the street car until he was almost on top of it and then he stopped his train within its own length. The railroad company has done everything within its power for the dead and injured and will continue the investigation as to the responsibility for the wreck."

The Evening Standard Ogden City Utah 1910-11-14