Detroit, MI Steamers GARLAND and MAMIE Collide, July 1880
RIVER RACING -- SAD RESULT OF THE PRACTICE ON DETROIT RIVER.
A PLEASURE YACHT LOADED WITH CATHOLIC EXCURSIONISTS RUN INTO -- THE YACHT CUT IN TWO AND SUNK, SIXTEEN OF THE OCCUPANTS GOING DOWN WITH HER.
Detroit, July 23. -- A terrible accident occurred about ten o'clock last evening on the Detroit River, some nine miles below this city. The excursion steamer Garland, with 1,200 persons on board, under the auspices of the Detroit Moulders' union, while going down the river collided with the steam yacht Mamie, coming up, cutting her in two so that she almost instantly sank. The latter had on board twenty-four persons consisting mainly of Father Bleyenburg, pastor of the Trinity Roman Catholic church, this city, and a number oa acolytes, boys, officiating in various capacities in the service of this church.
They had been on the annual excursion to Monroe, and were returning home. The night was bright moonlight, and there would seem to have been no earthly reason, save that of criminal negligence, why the accident should have occurred. Of those on board the Mamie the following were drowned:
MRS. FRED MARTIN, wife of the engineer.
MISS LIZZIE MURPHY, housekeeper for Father Bleyenburg.
MISS MARY HANN, domestic in the parochial school of Trinity church.
All altar boys of the church, aged from 11 to 14.
THOMAS KELLY, sexton of the church.
JIM KELLY, organ blower.
ANDREW DORAN, a boy who was invited to accompany the excursion.
THOMAS McLOGAN and another boy are missing and are doubtless lost.
Capt. Hoffman, Engineer Martin, Father Bleyenburg, Miss Lizzie Dusscan, of Monroe, and four others, were saved. All the parties reached this city about 2 o'clock this morning. None of the bodies of the drowned have yet been recovered. An inquest will doubtless take place.
In addition to the names of lost already sent, it is ascertained another boy named JOHN G. RENSEL was also drowned. Search today fails to find the wreck of the sunken yacht. No bodies yet recovered. An investigation has been ordered by the local board of steamboat inspectors, which will probably begin tomorrow.
Daily Globe St. Paul Minnesota 1880-07-24