Jackson, MI Birthday Party Fire, Dec 1894

JACKSON, Mich., Dec. 16.---Forty young children were thrown into a panic last night at the home of Mrs. George C. Truesdell by the accidental tipping over of a large stand lamp in the parlor. The children, none of whom was over twelve years of age, were participating in a birthday party.

The burning oil was scattered among them, setting their clothing on fire. No adult was present in the room at the time, and the children rushed wildly about until two or three of the older lads dragged those who were on fire out into the halls, where their burning clothing was pulled off.

Several of the children suffered painful injuries. The house was badly damaged.

The New York Times, New York, NY 17 Dec 1894