St. Paul, MN Grand Opera House Fire, Jan 1889
AN OPERA HOUSE BURNED.
ST. PAUL LOSES ITS CHIEF PLACE OF AMUSEMENT -- LOSS $200,000.
St. Paul, Jan. 21. -- At 7 o'clock this morning fire broke out in the coat room of the Grand Opera House. The place caught fire during the absence of the caretaker at breakfast. The Grand Opera House was situated in the business part of the city, and was surrounded by some of the best buildings in town. Back of it is the mamoth Globe Building, while on either side are large buildings. The entire Fire Department was called out and went to work with a will. The mercury was then about 14 degrees below zero, and the water froze almost as fast as it could be thrown from the hose.
The grand block adjoining the opera house on the corner of Wabasha and Fourth streets soon caught fire, and the occupants of that building hastily departed from their warm rooms to the much colder air out of doors, where many of the shivered in scant apparel until their clothes were brought to them by the firemen.
At 9 o'clock the roof fell in, and the flames spread with increased rapidity, taking the rest of the Opera House in quick time, and very soon the Opera House was completely gutted.
Occupants of the Court and Front blocks were driven out by the approach of the flames, but it is thought those buildings will not lose much by fire, although the loss by water and the like will be considerable.
The Opera House, as originally built, cos $200,000 and recently was refitted at an expense of $20,000. The insurance is only about $75,000.
The Florences were at the Frand last week, but had removed all their property and lost nothing. HELEN BARRY was to be here this week and her property had not yet arrived, so that she loses nothing.
Manager SCOTT, with his customary energy, at once proceeded to look after a place to continue business, and has already secured a hall and will go on with no interruption of the dates already announced. The cable lines pass on Fourth street near the fire, and owing to the Fire Department the cars were kept from running for several hours, it being nearly 11 o'clock before the flames were under control.
The New York Times New York 1889-01-22