Jackson, MN High School Fire, Nov 1912

Jackson MN high school fire 11-27-1912.jpg

JACKSON HIGH SCHOOL BURNED.

DEFECTIVE CHIMNEY CAUSE OF $30,000 BLAZE -- ALL PUPILS ESCAPE.

Jackson, Minn., Nov. 29. -- The old high school building here was destroyed by fire yesterday morning. Flames were first discovered on the roof of the building. The volunteer department responded but were unable to reach the blaze. The
flames gained headway and the fire fighters devoted their efforts to saving adjoining property.
The building, which was valued at $30,000, was destroyed. Fifteen thousand dollars insurance was carried.
Pupils left the building in an orderly manner and there were no injuries.
The district has just completed erecting a new high school and it is expected that the grade school scholars will be taken in.
The building destroyed was built in 1895. The fire is believed to have started from a defective chimney.

Evening Tribune Albert Lea Minnesota 1912-11-29