Nashua, NH Mattress Factory Fire, Oct 1870

FIRE IN NASHUA.---At about 2 o'clock Friday afternoon, in Nashua, a fire broke out in Hill's mattress manufactory on Merrimack street, in that city, and before the flames could be subdued the entire building with its contents were destroyed. Henry Hall lost about $18,000, upon which he has an insurance of $5700. The Globe printing office, located on the first floor, lost $1000, principally in damages sustained by moving stock and machinery. The Nashua Sad Iron Co. occupied the rear of the first floor. Their loss is about $1000; insured. H. W. Bingham lost $700 on machinery; no insurance. The fire was caused by a defect in the chimney.

The New Hampshire Patriot, Concord, NH 12 Oct 1870