North Caldwell, NJ House Fire, Aug 1973


North Caldwell, N.J. (AP) -- Seven persons died Saturday in a fire in an $80,000 two-story house.
Killed were FRED STOCK, 36.
His wife DOROTHY, 34.
And their children; MARGARET, 6; LAURA, 4; and COLLEEN, 5 months.
JEAN and JOAN DORL of New York, the 14 year old twins of MRS. STOCK'S sister, also perished.
Police said all apparently died of smoke inhalation. The bodies were found in the bedrooms.
The fire started in the area of the television room shortly after midnight, police said. They said that, although the flames were confined to that area, smoke filtered throughout the house.

Cedar Rapids Gazette Iowa 1973-08-25


Stock Fire August 1973 - North Caldwell

I was there and although the instant TV was to blame, it was the central air conditioning that spread the smoke through the house. The victims died as the slept. The North Caldwell Fire Department spearheaded a movement and wrote an ordinance that required all new central air conditioning system to have a smoke detector that would sense smoke and shut down the air system. A credit to men of the North Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department.