Chatsworth, NJ Mexican Flyer Dies In Crash, Jul 1928

CHATSWORTH, N. J., July 13.-
The body of Captain Emilio Carranza,
ace of Mexican fliers, who
left a Long Island flying field last
night on a nonstop flight to Mexico
City, was found today in a wilderness
of woods and berry bogs eight
miles west of this hamlet.
Beside the dead aviator were the
scattered ruins of his ship, a monoplane
duplicating Colonel Charles A.
Lindbergh's transatlantic plane, "The
Spirit of St. Louis." Both wings had
been' shorn from the fuselage and
fragments had fallen for a quarter
mile in the pines and scrub oaks.
A bolt of lightning which had
struck the plane' as it headed directly
into a severe electrical storm
was blamed for the tragedy, pending
further inquiry. At 8 o'clock
last night, or an hour after Captain
Carranza had roared down the
Roosevelt Field runway, about eightyfive
miles away, an airplane was
heard in passage above the group of
houses that constitute Chatsworth.
Drone of Plane Heard.
The peculiar deadening of sounds
that preceded the sudden onslaught
of the storm had enabled persons to
hear distinctly the drone of the
plane. A matter of moments after
the drumming above had been heard,
the rain rushed down, thunder rolled
and the sky was kept half-lighted by
the fast-succeeding flashes of lightning.
Evidences of charring on the
flier's leather jacket and on one
wing appeared to support the theory
that he had been shot down by a
bolt. There was no evidence of fire.
Against the police theory that lightning
caused the accident was the
report of Lieutenant F. W. Bullock,
U. S. A,, who investigated the mishap
late tonight. While he would not disclose
the findings which he reported
to the commander of Fort Monmouth,
at Ocean Park, who assigned
him to look over the wreckage, Lieutenant
Bullock said that he thought
it had been "a straight crash."
He said that the Mexican flier evidently
had sought to land to escape
the storm and had met death when
his path was blocked by the trees.
He based this finding partly on the
fact that the throttle of the engine
had been cicsed and the spark advanced.
Patrick A. Burkholz, of
Mount Holly, who served as a firstclass
mechanic overseas with the-
152d Air Squadron, supported the
view of the Lieutenant.
A berry picker breasting through
the tall undergrowth fell over the
flier's body. He had gone into the
lonely territory, penetrated only by
pickers in Summer and deer hunters
in Winter, this afternoon when
points along the flier's proposed
route were anxiously watching for
him and when Mexico City was preparing
a triumphal reception.
Captain Carranza, returning the
compliment of Colonel Lindbergh's
good-will flight; to his country, flew
last month from Mexico City to
Washington and to New York. He
failed in his effort to make it a nonstop
trip, having been forced down
in North Carolina. The flight that
ended in the tragedy discovered today
was to have equalled the American's
• Message Aids Identification.
Identification of the filer was made
on a weather bureau message addressed
to Captain Carranza, which
was found in his pocket, with a few
Mexican coins A chart of his course
also aided the police. The crash
had disfigured the aviator's face and
body beyond recognition.
The local police advised the Mexican
Embassy in Washington of the
death of the flier and late tonight
word was received that a representative
of the Embassy was on his
way to Mount Holly, whither the
body had been removed. He bore
instructions from the Mexican Ambassador,
Manuel C. Tellez, to have
the body removed to the Mexican
Consulate in New York.
It was shortly after 3 o'clock this
afternoon when John Henry Carr, a
mechanic of this village, reached the
berry section eight miles west of
July 14, 1928 edition of The New York Times