Branchville, NJ House Trailer Fire Kills Four, Feb 1959

FOUR CHILDREN PERISH IN HOUSE TRAILER FIRE.

Branchville, N.J. (AP) - Four children, huddled in bed in their family's house trailer, were killed yesterday when an oil stove exploded.
MRS. EILEEN HENDERSON, 28, mother of the children, was visiting in a nearby home at the time and was burned trying to rescue the youngsters.
Their father, Robert Henderson, was off at work at the time in a garage.
Henderson, 28, rushed home from the garage in Newton and five firemen had to hold him back from entering the blazing trailer.
The trailer was attached to a one-room cottage on Mattison Schoolhouse Road in Frankford Township outside this Sussex County borough. Both were leveled by flames.
MRS. HENDERSON was taken to Newton Hospital in fair condition.
State Police said a space heater in the doorway connecting the cottage with the trailer blew up about 7:30 a.m.
Killed instantly were the four children in a bed nearby:
LINDA, 6;
ROBERT, JR., 5;
WILLIAM, 4;
and BARRETT, 2.
MRS. HENDERSON at the time was visiting in the home of her sister-in-law, Mrs. Barrett Henderson, about 100 feet away.
The Branchville and Frankford Township Fire Companies sped to the scene, but were unable to save the children or the structures.
The scene of the blast is in a wooded area about a mile north of Culver's Lake.

The Troy Record New York 1959-02-24