Victor, NY Destroyed By Fire, Apr 1898
VICTOR WIPED OUT BY FIRE.
$40,000 LOSS IN A VILLAGE NEAR ROCHESTER -- AN EDITOR DROPS DEAD.
Rochester, N. Y., April 10. -- At Victor, a small village twenty miles east of this city, fire started in the Opera House Hotel at 9 o'clock tonight from the explosion of an oil stove, and before the flames were brought under control nearly the whole of the business portion of the village was destroyed.
The buildings burned were wooden structures valued at about $40,000. The village had no source from which to draw water to fight the flames. Nothing but the Post Office, bank, and one store was saved.
When the fire started W. A. GILLIS, editor of the Victor Herald, dropped dead from excitement.
The New York Times New York 1898-04-11