New York, NY St. Denis Hotel Chimney Fire, Sept 1909


600 Turned Out of Bed by a Small Chimney Blaze.

Fire caused by a defective flue aroused 600 guests in the St. Denis Hotel, at Broadway and Eleventh Street, early yesterday morning.

In passing the hotel, Policeman Hartford of the Mercer Street Station save dense volumes of smoke coming out of the chimney. He turned in an alarm and ran into the hotel and notified the clerk. The telephones in the rooms were then rung and the guests hurried down the stairs scantily clad with their belongings under their arms.

Firemen put the blaze out with salt and sand. the guest thereupon returned to their rooms.

The New York Times, New York, NY 27 Sept 1909