New York, NY Hudson River Drowning, Jul 1911

Drowned, Float Ashore.

Charged That Warship’s Launch Could Have Saved James and Walter Case.

The bodies of James Howard Case and Walter A. Case, brothers, who were drowned in the Hudson on July 4, floated ashore yesterday morning, that of the former at Twenty-third Street and the other at Forty-fourth Street. The young men were out in a sixteen foot motor boat with Richard Budich and James Lavery, who, like Walter Case, were employed at Park & Tilford’s. Howard Case had charge of the soda fountain at Hegeman’s drug store in the Times Building. All the young men were between 20 and 28 years old.

The uncle of the Case boys, C.A. Case, of 247 West Forty-eighth Street, said last night that the true story of the accident did not become known at the time, but had since been learned from the two who were saved.

“As they were going up the river off Ninety-Sixth street,” said he, “a big launch from the warship Washington, to which was attached a trailer, came up behind them and further out in the river. It was headed for the landing float near Ninety-eighth Street. The boys’ boat was ahead and clearly had the right of way, but the launch, which was the fastest kept its course toward shore, crowding the motor boat in toward the garbage dock at Ninety-seventh Street. As the boys tried to get out of the way the trailer of the launch grazed the motor boat and with the wash of the launch this was sufficient to overturn the little craft. Budich and Lavery were carried into the where they were able to get ahold of two garbage boats lying at the dock, but our boys were swept toward the coal dock at Ninety-sixth Street. Howard, the older, could swim, but Walter could not and they went down together.

“The ship’s launch, which was crowded with a merry party, kept on after the collision and made her landing. Those on board must have seen what had happened, for the launch returned just as the boys were going down for the third time, Capt. R.M. Hughes, commander of the Washington, has been here to express his regret and two days after it occurred some of the crew helped in diving for the bodies. The boys are positive that all could have been saved by the men in the launch if they stopped before making their landing.”

The funeral of the two young men will be held to-day.

The New York Times, New York, NY 9 Jul 1911