Brighton Beach, NY Auto Race Accidents, Jul 1911

Auto Racer Killed At Brighton Track

Frey’s Car Skids Into the Rail When He Tries to Prevent a Collision.

Ormsby Got In His Way

Latter, Who Was Turning on the Track, in Violation of the Rules, is Suspended and May Lose License.

The third accident in as many days occurred yesterday in the Brighton Beach Motordome, where the automobile racing season for the metropolitan district was inaugurated. Just before the starting of the first race E.H. Frey, driving a Mercer car, crashed at the head if the stretch into a Simplex, driven by L. Ormsby. Frey was mortally injured. He was removed to Coney Island Emergency Hospital and died at 9 o’clock last night.

Both drivers were trying out their cars. Ormsby had made a circuit of the track and on reaching the top of the stretch just above the clubhouse slowed up and attempted to turn around to return to his camp in the field. This was contrary to the rules of the meet, which state that all cars shall compete the circuit, entering the camping ground from the opposite end of the stretch.

Frey was close behind Ormsby, and, to avoid a collision, skidded into the inner rail. He was thrown out of his machine on to the track. An ambulance took the unconscious driver to the hospital, where his injuries were found to be more serious than the first examination indicated.

Ormsby was suspended from driving by A.R. Pardington, who represented the Contest Board of the American Automobile Association, and to-day a recommendation will be forwarded to the board to revoke his license, as Mr. Pardington holds him responsible for the accident.

The death of Charles Robinson, the young college amateur driver, on Saturday, and the serious injury to Theodore Taylor on Sunday, with Frey’s death, makes a record for an automobile meet at this motor dome. None of the accidents, however, occurred during racing. Robinson was practicing while the track was being oiled. He had been warned repeatedly not to go on the track. He was unable to control his machine and crashed into the oil wagon, receiving injuries from which he died after reaching the hospital.

Taylor was mechanician to Andrew C. Daus when the front wheel of the car flew off as the car was rounding into the stretch near the point where Robinson was killed. Both driver and mechanician were thrown out, the latter receiving a concussion of the brain and internal injuries.

The New York Times, New York, NY 4 Jul 1911