Newark, NJ & Bronx, NY Lightning & Storm, Jun 1936

Lightning Kills Three in Storm; Churches, Schools and Homes Hit

PWA Worker, in the Bronx and Two Linemen in Newark Are
Victims — Thousands of Dollars' Damage Caused by Bolts
and Fire — Today to Be Partly Cloudy

Lightning struck furiously at the
metropolitan area yesterday morning
in the most severe electrical
storm this year. Bolts of lightning
killed two electrical workers near
Newark and a PWA worker in the
Bronx. They struck two schools,
several church steeples and caused
numerous small fires.
Sweeping down overnight from
the up-state and West, the storm
caused thousands of dollars' damage
in burned barns, cattle sheds,
warehouses and mills, but also
brought needed rain to crops and
pastures. The storm arrived over
this city at 9:20 A. M., on a thirtysix-
mile wind, and dwindled in intensity
through the early afternoon
as it passed out to sea.
The Bronx victim was Victor
Pierson, 48 years old, of 761 Courtlandt
Avenue, employed on the
Marine Academy project at Fort
Schuyler. He was in a shack checking
lumber with Peter Rogan, another
employe, at about 10:40 A. M.,
when the bolt struck and knocked
Pierson unconscious.
Rogan, who was uninjured, ran
for help. A police emergency crew
and first-aid workers applied treatment
until after 1 o'clock when
Pierson was pronounced dead.
While two employes of the Public
Service Gas and Electric Company
were making repairs to an
underground cable in a ditch beneath
a tree in Weequahic Park,
near Newark, a bolt struck the
tree, shot through the men and
passed into the underground cable.
The two men were killed instantly.
They were Alexander Beveridge,
36, of 187 Windsor Street, Kearny,
father of three children, and Robert
Melville, 28, of 2 Ridge Road,
North Arlington, father of one
child.
Other bolts of lightning struck
the parochial school of Our Lady of
Angels at Seventy-fourth Street and
Fourth Avenue, Brooklyn, and Public
School 3 at Seaview Avenue and
Old Bergen Road, Jersey City.
Bricks and mortar were knocked
from the roofs. About 1,000 children
in the parochial school were
kept under control by their teachers.

June 19, 1936 edition of The New York Times