New York, NY Elevated Train Collision, Feb 1902

Train Runs Into Rear of Another on Third Avenue Line
Passengers Cut by Flying Glass and Thrown Into Wild Panic Terrible Calamity Narrowly Averted

Hundreds of people were terror-stricken and a dozen or more slightly injured in a rear-end collision between two express trains during the height of the evening's rush of travel on the Third Avenue elevated road near One-Hundred and First Street last evening.
Both engineers had seen the peril in time to avert a terrible calamity, but all the glass of the rear car of the train that was struck was shattered and the flying splinters inflicted many cuts. The platform of this car was also bent forward and when the colliding engine stopped, its iron front rested within an inch or so of the wooden car body beyond which men and women were trying to extricate themselves from the struggling mass into which they had been thrown. This car, as all others on both trains, was crowded to the limit, but none of the standing passengers retained their feet. So great was the shock that the leather straps snapped like cotton twine and all those hanging to them were thrown headlong.
Other windows were broken here and there throughout both trains, inflicting injuries of which the police obtained no record, but the effects of which will be felt for many a day.
Following is the list of casualties as obtained
by t h e police of the East One-Hundred and Fourth Street Station:
DUANE, JOHN, thirty-one years old. of 230 East Fifty-Fourth Street, fireman at colliding engine; contusions of left leg and body by being thrown from his cab to the track.
HARRIS, ROBERT. thirty-two years old of 2553
First Avenue, passenger; ankle sprained.
MURRAY, MARY. twenty-one years old of 121 East
One-Hundred and Third Street; shock. She
fainted and when she recovered, was in a delirious
PETERSON, A. B., thirty-three years old of 902
Eagle Avenue, clerk in a life insurance office;
two fingers of his right hand so badly injured
that amputation may prove necessary.
The three injured passengers were taken
From the train at the One-Hundred and
Twenty-Ninth Street Station, to which it
ran immediately after the crash. They
were attended by Ambulance Surgeon
Smith of t h e Harlem Hospital, after which
they were removed to their homes in an
ambulance. Miss Flurry's conditions was
such as to occasion grave concern. She
went from one fit of hysterics to another,
and her screams disturbed the neighborhood.
Her most frequent cry was, "Oh, there comes the train! Look at it!" Then she would make a sound like the rapid puffing of a locomotive. At a late hour last night, she had shown no signs of improvement.
The accident happened at 5:45 o'clock. The first train had left City Hall Station at 5:19. It was drawn by Engine 286, H. Clifton, Engineer. A local followed it, and the second express left from City Hall at 5:21, drawn by Engine 245 in the charge of Engineer Caswell.
They left the local behind as they ran into
the middle or express track at Fifty-eighth
Street. The first train was to have stopped
at One-Hundred and Sixty-Sixth Street, while the
second was to run to One-Hundred and Thirty-third Street. They thundered up the avenue on their short headway. Something went wrong at the switch between One Hundred and One Hundred and First Street, where the leading express should have turned out to make the station, instead of doing so, it kept on the express track and stopped about opposite the station.

Feb. 14 edition of The New York Times