Brooklyn, NY Fire, Sept 1895

Fire at Brooklyn.

BROOKLYN, Sept. 16.----A fire at the Wallabout market early Saturday morning caused damage to the amount of about $30,000. The blaze broke out at 2:30 o'clock in the two-story brick building at Washington avenue and Canal Street, which is owned by Charles Smith. The building was entirely destroyed at a loss of $10,000. Several produce dealers who occupied the building sustained considerable losses. The fire extended to Kohlman & Spreen's willow ware store, next door, causing damage to the building of $2,000 and a loss on the stock of $3,000. The fire is supposed to have been caused by the explosion of a gasoline lamp.

Evening Bulletin, Decatur, IL 16 Sept 1895