New York, NY Cotton Waste Fire, Jul 1874
At 8 o'clock yesterday morning a fire broke out on the top floor of the four-story brick building No. 86 John street, occupied by R. Eagan, dealer in cotton waste. The fire is supposed to have been caused by spontaneous combustion, and before it was extinguished the floor on which it originated was gutted. The loss of Eagan, who occupies the second, third, and fourth floors, is estimated at $2,000; insured for $5,000 in the Kings County Company. The first floor and basement are occupied by Davis & Riker, machinists, damage $1,000; insured for $3,000. The building was damaged to the extent of $1,500.
The New York Times, New York, NY 30 Jul 1874