Baldwinsville, NY Hotel Block Destroyed By Fire, Nov 1889

MANY LIVES IN DANGER.

THE HOTEL BLOCK AT BALDWINSVILLE ENTIRELY DESTROYED.

Syracuse, N. Y., Nov. 20 -- Fire at Baldwinsville last night caused a loss of $250,000. The flames originated in the second story of the Seneca Hotel, at Oswego and Genesee streets, and the entire hotel block, with two large warehouses adjoining, was destroyed. The hotel was a handsome structure, and with the warehouses had a frontage of 100 feet on Oswego street and 200 feet on Genesee street.

The flames spread so rapidly that the hotel guests, about forty in number, had to flee for their lives, many of them losing all their clothing and valuables. MR. WRIGHT, the landlord, who was sick in bed, was carried down a ladder, and had a narrow escape with his life.

The block was owned by J. W. UPSON, and was occupied, in addition to the hotel, by G. N. LUCKEY, jeweler; HALL & WILLIAMS, hardware; A. W. WARNER, photograph gallery; CHARLES SHORE, harness; VIRGINIA & FICKEINSEN, boiler shop, and M. D. VOORHEES, cigar dealer. In the warehouses adjoining was a large quantity of tobacco and knit goods. These, with the other contents, were a total loss. The second, third, and fourth stories of one warehouse were filled with knit and woolen goods belonging to J. C. & I. C. MILLER.
In the adjoining warehouse was stored a quantity of tobacco owned by J. W. UPSON, MYRON MANDELSON of New York, and others. This was totally destroyed. MR. UPSON, the owner of the block, valued it at about $30,000, upon which there is an insurance of two-thirds. WRIGHT & CO., proprietors of the hotel, estimate their loss between $6,000 and $8,000, with a partial insurance. MR. UPSON owned the furniture in the hotel. G. N. LUCKEY estimates his loss at $1,000; HALL & WILLIAMS lost between $15,000 and $18,000 worth of goods, insurance $10,000; M. D. VOORHEES estimates his loss at $3,000, with $1,500 insurance; CHARLES SHORE saved part of his stock of goods, but estimates his loss at $1,000; F. A. MARVIN, an attorney, succeeded in saving his law library; A. W. WARNER sustains a loss of $1,000.

The heaviest losers are the MESSRS. MILLER, woolen manufacturers, who estimate that they had about $100,000 worth of woolen and knit goods stored in the warehouse. They carried an insurance of $60,000. The tobacco stored in the adjoining warehouse was valued at about $100,000 and is thought to have been fully insured. The adjoining property was constantly in danger, and the First National Bank was several times on fire, but was saved by the firemen. The Seneca House barns were saved.

The walls of the burned buildings fell in about 1 o'clock and the fire was thus prevented from spreading. The origin of the fire is a mystery, but it is thought to have been caused by spontaneous combustion in oiled rags.

The New York Times New York 1889-11-21